On most Sunday nights, I lament the close of the weekend, but last night was a good Sunday night for a change. I knew I had work waiting and a whole week ahead of me to accomplish things and take on new challenges and preparations, but the weekend was so pleasant and ended so pleasantly that I hardly lamented its end.
I look back on today and can't complain. Faced the tasks at hand and got through them during the work day. Didn't accomplish as much as I'd intended upon coming home for the evening but made progress with a few things, nonetheless.
Now, as Monday draws to a close, I'm aware of a sort of drain Monday has taken from the joy and sunny outlook that was here through Sunday evening. I took a moment tonight to pray for my family and some friends. I hadn't become troubled, per se, but it was as if I felt something troubling could come up soon enough, or that if I didn't pray and give my concerns to the Lord, my own thoughts could develop into depressing, stressful, worrisome influences. My Monday night isn't really overbearing in any particular way, but I think it's been a difficult night for a few other people that are close to my heart. So I prayed. And I will continue to pray. I feel like I had a choice either to dwell on certain little thoughts that wanted to take root to grow into worries and fears or to take my focus elsewhere and offer all of that up to God.
I'm so thankful that He tugged on my heart earlier this evening so I could give Him my own burdens. It freed me up to be able to listen to someone and offer what encouragement I could. I knew that I didn't know what it felt like to be in that position or in those circumstances, and there was even a moment when I almost got frustrated with myself and the fact that I had no direct empathy or shared experience or didn't have any "magic" words to lend insight or a solution to a difficult situation... but then I also realized that this moment wasn't about me. It's true that I didn't know what this person's experience was like, but I was beginning to understand how they were feeling about it. And it was ok that I didn't have perfect words to make everything feel better. Perhaps I had one piece of insight to share, but no need to grasp for more. I'm over trying to offer platitudes or encouragement that feels empty because I just want to give something. No... I'd rather just listen, to "be there" and let them know I'm praying.
I also think I'm more prone to brooding and letting myself get overwhelmed at night. I'm feeling tired now, and I'm a bit surprised that I'm feeling it before midnight. Instead of pushing through, though, I'm going to opt for pursuing any other concerns and thoughts in daylight and after a full night's rest.
To quote the classic heroine, Scarlett O'Hara, "After all, tomorrow is another day."
Thank you for sharing you thoughts Sarah <3
ReplyDeleteI second Naomi. It's been a while since I've read your blog - really haven't kept up with blogger in general for a while - and I just wanted to say that I can identify with this post to some extent. God's been teaching me some similar things.
ReplyDeleteIt also makes me think of a night recently where my thoughts were becoming increasingly negative, and I realized that I had a choice: either continue on, sinking lower through the night, or just give it to God and go to bed. I chose the latter, and it was good. I would encourage you to pull your Bible out when you start to stress or worry. I've really begun to read and study my Bible this past week, and it's been so good for my mind, heart and soul, and spirit.
God bless, my prayers are with you,
Laura