There's not one major topic I wanted to bring up in this post, but I felt the urge to write more strongly than I've felt it in a while, so I knew I had to follow through this time or else suffer some pang of unaccomplishment (not a word? I want it to be one, so it stays). I've been feeling such pangs lately. Last night I sat in bed and wondered what had I possibly accomplished that day? True, I went to work and later to a friend's birthday party, which are both quality, important things (yes, birthday parties are important things when it's for a friend one's come to count among the very best :) ).
However, my personal to-do list remained untouched.
I desire to write several snail mail letters, which includes a few thank-you notes.
I need to tackle the clutter in my room with gusto again, for it's gotten to the point that I look around and feel squeamish. A bit of that determination returned the other night after watching an episode of "Hoarders" with my mom. Oy veyzmir... at least I'm not that far gone. I may be a sentimental pack rat and procrastinator when it comes to organizing and sorting, but I vow never to let my clutter consume me as it does someone who hoards (how do I know I'm not a hoarder? because I relish clearing space and giving away bagfuls of stuff. my dilemma these days is deciding what to hold on to to sell online if I ever get my eBay-or-similar act together).
Quick question: do paragraphs look better on a blog, or would block paragraphs with space in between each suffice? I'll try paragraphs for the remainder of this post.
(edit: well so much for paragraphs. indentations don't show up nearly as apparently in the published post as they do in the composing box. blocks it is.)
It's become overcast outside, which seems to heighten the magenta blossoms of the exuberant crape myrtle whose boughs have extended to spill over the back porch railing, enraptured by the plethora of sunlight they've received since the ivy-laden pines were cut down over a year ago. A few choice blooms also occupy a clear glass vase here on the kitchen island counter. Two small sunflowers and four others that I'd name if I knew them.
I'm sipping on chai tea, contemplating which thoughts I'd share now that were filling my mind during the last hours at work. Hmm... laundry awaits my doing (off the hook for the moment, as brother Micah still has a load in both dryer and washer but is napping, and I'm going to let him rest because he was up early serving that coffee sealed with that green emblem of a smiling siren :) ). It's also garbage night, so we've got to gather the trash and recyclables for collection in the morning.
As lunch was about 5 hours ago for me, hunger is beginning to yawn and stretch in my stomach. This brings me to one previous thought in particular:
I need to experiment more with cooking and baking. One day, I will be the primary cook for myself, and after that, I'll be the food-fixer for a husband, then a family, and I feel I should branch out now while I have the time to practice. If only I shared the culinary passion so many of my friends possess. Facebook statuses announce dinner entrees, and blogs include photos boasting (perhaps not intentionally, though I wouldn't blame them if so) of stove top and oven-produced bounty.
Meanwhile, I'm not in any mood to thaw meat or explore a recipe. I have a mind to put together a salad, which is actually not just due to laziness but also an effort to atone for several food and drink indulgences yesterday. Fried cheese sticks, 2 alcoholic beverages, and chocolate cake (granted, I had lots of water, too) have not helped my post-vacation weigh-ins... even if I still remain the sole keeper of my weight's number from week to week.
My dear beau cooks quite well for himself and for me when I visit. He learned some kitchen tricks long ago and doesn't mind whipping up all kinds of dishes. I want to return that favor and have it be more than grilled sandwiches or spaghetti. One event that prompts me to action sooner on the cooking front is his birthday in another month. You betcha I'm not about to slack off on a request for a birthday dinner. Now, just to prepare early so I can iron out cooking noob mishaps before the big night. *sigh*
So I ended up talking about the lack of cooking in my domestic skills list. As usual, there are more thoughts I would share and more goings-on in my life upon which I'd expound, but I shall conclude here so as to work on some butterfly photos.
... although.... one last thought:
I wonder if having a blog accountability partner would make me update more often.
This wonder reminds me I have a children's-story-writing accountability partner (though he's not writing on his end, just trying to keep me on track) in Micah F. I started formulating a plan last week for my first report but have yet to "put it to paper." blergh. One more thing I haven't done. ... but... will do... very soon.
OMGoodness, Sarah... Now...I realize I'm your mother and that automatically makes me your biggest and most devoted fan...but I am so glad that I discovered your blog and I am loving absolutely everything that you are writing!! You are a delight! You always have been a source of joy for me and now I can peek into your world of blogging and soak in some more joy. You inspire me! Love you sweet and lovely daughter of mine. xo times a zillion, MOM
ReplyDeleteOh, Mom. :) I love you, too.
ReplyDeleteHaha I love this post too. Your mom is great. :D
ReplyDelete